Management Consultant (CMC), op titel van ROAN Strikwerda Holding B.V., KvK nr. 1721540, BTW NL818951813B01.
- Professor of organization and change (internal governance) at the Amsterdam Business School of the Universiteit van Amsterdam
2014. Bespiegelingen over governance, bestuur, management en organisatie in de 21e eeuw. Assen: Van Gorcum. Over de overgang van de bestuursdoctrine van de 20ste eeuw naar die voor de 21ste eeuw. Chandler's visible hand blijft, maar die hand hanteert wel andere bestuursinstrumenten. Bestellen
2014. The Paradigms of Business Administration and the Concepts of the Balanced Scorecard and the Strategy Map. Download
2013. Sense Making in Corporate Governance: A multilayered Model for Information Asymmetries between Investors and Executives. Download
2012. De Nederlandse Corporate Governance Code: Ingeleid, toegelicht en becommentarieerd. Assen: Van Gorcum. Het handboek voor commissarissen en toezichthouders. bestellen
Andrew Campbell en Hans Strikweda. 2013. The Power of One: Toward the New Integrated Organization. Journal of Business Strategy, 2(34), 4-12.
Organization Design for the 21st Century: From Structure follows Strategy to Process follows Proposition, 230 pages, figures and ppt-presentations. Available at the iBookstore of Apple (including a free preview with content overview, and full first chapter, the book for those interested in new organization forms).
2011: Competing on information, downloadable from http://ssrn.com/abstract=1973575.
2010. Shared Service Centers II - (Dutch). Published by Van Gorcum - Stichting Management Studies, Assen -Den Haag, 2010. Bestellen
2008 Van unitmanagement naar multidimensionale organisaties (van Gorcum - Stichting Management Studies, Assen - Den Haag).
My fields of expertise
Business Administration for the 21st Century
Today the theory-in-use of many firms and executives still is the dogma of business administration as coined in the first quarter of the twentieth century, by the great organizers such as Fayol, Dupont, Barnard and Sloan. This dogma no longer applies in the informational economy of the 12st century. But in this era we lack the entrepreneurial great organizers to codify a new business administration. Happily a number of executives have found a sensible and clever way for leadership and organization to cater the modern creative knowledge worker. That is what my consultancy is about.
Meta-change. The familiar management of change, dating from the sixties of the twentieth century and based on punctuated equilibrium, no longer applies. Today leading firms design their organization for change. But also, change now applies to the functions itself, especially their interrelatedness and integration, which requires integrative thinking and thinkers. Change today is not about new organization forms, but it is about the organization of information (but information as defined in cybernetics), the factoring of decision making, including defining objective functions, and it is about designing a proper systemic context to facilitate the behaviors both the firm and its workers are happy with. Cases exist, I use them in my course The Executive Process, I teach at the Amsterdam Business School of the UvA. Also available for in-company courses.
Internal governance: Corporate strategy, grand strategy, assessment of environmental developments, developing new economic models, new business models, implementation of strategic change, post-merger execution.
Organization (re)design and changes processes at governance level and the level of business models, management processes, accountability, allocating decision rights, coordination mechanisms (self-coordiation, imposed coordination)
Corporate strategy. The field of corporate strategy / strategic management is in need to redefine itself. What we used to label strategy appears to be from a perspective of corporate finance and active shareholders simply tactics and economizing. Usefull, but today corporate strategy is about grand strategy, about power play in the market. So I have moved into that field
Management consultancy as a profession: issues, institutional changes, intellectual challenges, the contribution of the profession to the development of society (member of the OOA, certified management consultant).
My methods of engagement:
- Consultancy (through trasfer of new insights, co-development)
- (key note) speaker
- In-house courses, mmodules for executive courses, for management development programs
- (multi-)client studies
- Reviews/analysis/monitoring of design processes, change processes, decision making, implementation
Courses I teach
In the international MBA of the Universiteit van Amsterdam:
- The Executive Process (based on the CCMO-course at Harvard Business School) see course syllabus
- Governance, administration and the organization of hospitals
In the post-doctoral course for controllers (EMFC):
- Corporate Governance, Internal Governance (organization design, resource allocation, how to organize for uncertainty, management of change, the role of culture, styles of leadership)
In the post-doctoral course for internal auditors (EMIA):
- Internal Governance (see EMFC, in this case with an emphasis on behavioral aspects and how to audit the system of internal governance and what goes with it)
In the Master for Business Studies:
* Management Consulting, from solution peddling to conceptual innovation, that is management consulting for the 21st century.
* Strategy Execution, from Bower's widely applied bottom-up resource allocation process, but which fails to serve the 21st century firm, to the new management control system proposed by Kaplan & Norton, but which needs quite some additions, especially with respect to behavioral aspects.